Couchsurfing’s default policy is not to censor, edit, or delete references or feedback tags. There are rare cases in which we disallow references that violate our reference guidelines.
If you do receive a reference or a reference response that violates our Reference Guidelines, you can dispute the reference by contacting us via our contact form. If the reference or reference response you are reporting violates the Reference Guidelines, it will be removed upon review by one of our team members.
Guidelines we consider when reviewing reference disputes:
- The reference was left as a "Host" or "Guest" reference when a stay in fact did not happen
- The reference entirely reflects the experience of someone other than the author
- The reference discloses private contact information, medical condition, or legal circumstance
- The reference is false, in a meaningful way, according to information found in the Couchsurfing system
- The reference is anonymous or was left from a blank or fake profile
- There has been no direct interaction, either offline or over the Couchsurfing system, between you and the person writing the reference
- I received multiple references for the same confirmed visit from the same member
Guidelines we consider when reviewing response disputes:
- The response is false, in a meaningful way, according to information found in the Couchsurfing system
- The response discloses private contact information, medical condition, or legal circumstance